January 11, 2012

Mama has to go to work

Eliot doesn't like it when the nanny comes. He doesn't mind if Dad goes to work, but he wants Mama to stay home. It's cute. I feel loved and wanted. This morning he was, again, unhappy that the nanny was there, unhappy that I was leaving. I said, "I have to go to work." And Brady said, "Do you know what Mama does at work? She saves trees." And I felt so proud of that. I mean, of course it's simplistic, but it was close to something a toddler could grasp, and it is noble. It's not like, "Mama works at a bank." Or, "Mama helps cars go zoom." Or, "Mama sells widgets." We talk about Brady's work too, that he helps teach kids to read, and that also feels good and noble, but this was the first time we put words to what Mama does. We don't make a lot of money, but it's enough (it never feels like enough, but really it's more than enough to meet our true needs), and I can hold my head up high around my kids and feel proud of what I do.
 
In other news... both boys had a checkup recently. Silas is 18 lbs 10 oz, the 3rd percentile for weight (he really doesn't seem that skinny... but damn), and 30 1/4 in long, the 75th percentile for height. Eliot is in the 92nd percentile for weight and 98th percentile for height (a big, big boy - but well proportioned!). I can't remember Eliot's actual weight or height.

No comments: