June 23, 2009

Back to work

Mama is back to work, as of today. I have been working about 13 hours per week from home, with a friend coming to babysit one afternoon a week to help facilitate the working from home thing. Now I am back at the office, 3 days a week. Today is the first day. I pumped at the office for the first time about an hour ago. It feels weird to pump at work. Brady is home today with Eliot, and every day this summer while I am working. Come August, when Brady returns to school, I will work two days a week from the office, and then some additional hours from home. So, we will have to find child care for Eliot two days a week. We haven't decided what kind yet -- day care or a nanny share.

We returned home from Arizona last night. We were gone for 10 days, and Eliot did really well. The last two nights in Tucson were difficult. Eliot woke up quite a bit. We don't know if it was a developmental thing because he started turning over, or if he was too warm sometimes, or teething, or what. But it was hard. Last night we got home late from the airport, but you could tell Eliot knew where we were, and he was happy to be home. The dogs were very happy to see all of us. We played on the twin bed in Eliot's room for a little while, and then I nursed him and put him in his crib. It was moderately difficult to get him to sleep (it was 12:30 at night, after all, and he's used to going to sleep around 6:30 pm). But he eventually went to sleep and only woke once in the night. Hopefully he will return to his ritual of bedtime at 6:30 pm, wake once at 3 am to nurse, then wake for the day around 7:30 am. I can handle that routine. I have tried doing what some mamas do, which is to nurse their babies before they themselves go to sleep around 9:30 or 10 pm. But when I do that, it seems to disturb Eliot's sleep pattern and he ends up waking around 1 am and 5 am, and then up for the day around 7 am. So, we've abandoned that, and I just pump a bit before I go to bed to relieve some pressure in my mammaries.

I will post pictures on Flickr soon of our Arizona trip.

ps - I just bought a bathing suit from Land's End, and for all you post-partum mommas, I recommend it. They have some cute suits that fit well. Brady said I looked good in it, and he seemed to really mean it. That's awesome, since I was just going for 'not bad.'

No comments: