August 11, 2009

Parenting

Brady and I have been thinking a lot lately about what it means to be good parents. And we are doing a lot of soul searching and personal work on how to be the best parents we can be. Mostly we want to take the best elements of what our parents did, and then improve on the places that need improvement so that we can try not to repeat bad patterns. We know we will make mistakes. All parents make mistakes. I forgive us ahead of time for the mistakes we will inevitably make, knowing that we will be trying our best. I hope Eliot will forgive us, too, for whatever mistakes we make. But ultimately, my own personal goal as a parent is to be there. Whenever I don't know what to do, or what to say, I know that I will at least be there. I think even when we are making mistakes, the most important thing is that we are there for Eliot, that we are present, and that we make sure Eliot knows that he is the most important thing in the world to us. Hopefully we can do more than that, too, but if we succeed only in that, I think we will be great parents and that we will have achieved a lot.

No comments: