March 15, 2012

Silas, no biting!

I went to the gym lastnight, but Brady relayed a funny story to me about Silas. First of all, when Silas gets mad, he gets really mad. If Eliot takes a toy from him, he screams, makes an angry face, and then if I try to distract him sometimes he hits me, and he will take whatever replacement thing you offer him and throw it, and then find other things to grab and throw. I think my next strategy is to start ignoring him when he gets pissed. Brady wants to start giving him timeouts already when he tantrums, but it might be too early for that because he is entitled to express anger. For both boys, I'm soon going to introduce a "punching pillow" that is okay to hit when they're mad and maybe I'll model that for Silas. We'll see.

Anyway, I digress. So last night, Silas got mad about something, and he bit Brady. Brady said, "No, Silas, no biting," and set him down on the floor. Silas looked at Brady and then walked over to a door frame, bit it, and then looked back at Brady and shook his head. Brady stifled a laugh and said, "That's right, no biting." Then Silas laid down on the floor and tried to bite the floor, then looked up at Brady and shook his head again. Brady again stifled a laugh and said, "That's right, no biting," and then left the room because he was having a hard time not laughing.

And another cute story, this time about Eliot: Brady brought home a cute, used jump rope for Eliot and gave it to him as a gift. Eliot was being kind of bratty and said, "No, I don't want it. Take it back." And Brady said, "It's a gift. You can choose what you want when you pay for things," or something like that. About 30 mins later, Eliot happened upon a nickel on the floor. He picked it up, gave it to Brady, smiled and said something like, "Here, I'm buying the jump rope so I can take it back," and then ran off.

No comments: